The Passionsspielhaus has since become a landmark for the town of Erl. The aspirational shape of this gleaming white building can be seen from quite a distance. The impressive construction was built according to plans by Robert Schuler. The building was originally intended for the Passionsspiel, held every six years in the summer. To date the building is not heated and plays are only performed in the summer. On the gently sloping rows of benches in the Passionsspielhaus there is space for up to 1500 visitors. The atmosphere is exceptional in this expansive space. So too are the acoustics. The Passionsspielhaus was designed at a time when artists had to perform unassisted. Thanks to the unusual architecture, the sound increases above the heads of the audience and reaches every single seat.